About Me

My photo
Ontario, Canada
I am a University student overwhelmed with the mayhem of school so I think this is a good way to relieve some stress and improve on my writing skills.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010


I would first like to commend the genius marketer who came up with the great idea of Roll up the Rim to Win. For Canadians, Tim Hortons is an icon and the roll-up-the-rim-to-win season indicates that spring is coming, along with an unspoken competition among co-workers, family members and friends has begun to see who can gather the most winnings.
Take me for instance, a non coffee drinking, Starbucks atmosphere lover. I waited eight minutes inline to day to purchase a medium tea JUST to see if I won something (not that I would even eat a doughnut if I won!). People have their methods or 'lucky touch' ways of unrolling the rim. As soon as my drink came I took off the lid and begin trying to unroll. My friend Michelle jumped up and said, with much fear, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING???" Apparently, my method was wrong. The proper edict is to finish your drink and then roll! Who would have guess! I proceeded unrolling with a full cup of steaming hot tea just to prove my point that it is not how you roll, once you get a winning cup, regardless of if you open it right then and there or wait two weeks, its still a winning luck. Not to my surprise, i did not win. Was I disappointed? Yes! Will I buy another even though I don't like the fluids inside? Yes. Is this the most amazing marketing strategy ever invented for this company? Yes!

As you can see, this is a major competition whether it is stated or not. People who are non-Timmies fans will most likely make a trip to one of the 13 Tim Hortons within a 5 minute proximity to their house to test their luck. And size small drinker will pay the extra 17 cents to get a medium. Overall this case has been solved, we are all suckers for this contest! I hope you have better luck than me!

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit I have never (yup, never) rolled up a rim to win!! Clearly I am missing one of the great Canadian bonding experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the idea. it took me a while to come up with, not gonna lie. good luck!

    ReplyDelete